Where to begin?
So much has happened over the past month. It's been exciting, overwhelming, happy, sad, stressful, and just plain CRAZY!
Shaun started his job May 23, 2011--just 10 days after graduation. While it was/is a huge blessing that he was able to start so soon after graduation, it was also very hard on us both. I had to finish some things up in Manhattan--work, packing, etc--while he was staying at his sister's house in Olathe starting his new job. We lived apart for about 4 weeks. We talked on the phone multiple times a day, and saw each other on the weekends--just like when we were dating, but it was still hard. I honestly don't know how military spouses do it! It was hard enough for us emotionally to be apart for a work week and still get to talk so much! Maybe it was harder for me because I had just started my third trimester and was a little more emotional, I don't know, but I couldn't imagine if Shaun had to go halfway across the world for an entire year or more! My hat goes off to those women (and men) and children who deal with deployments time and time again. Especially those in circumstances where the mother (or father) basically becomes a single parent each time this happens!
Anyway, my last day of work was Tuesday, June 14, 2011. I had mixed feelings about leaving, but new it was time to move on with life. My work had a luncheon and surprised me with a cake the day before, and my boss gave a little thank you speech. I'm pretty sure he got a little teary-eyed when telling me how much he appreciated my hard work and that they were going to miss me. (Even if he denies it, I'm going to pretend that's what happened to make myself feel better.) So, here I sit... I am officially UNEMPLOYED! It's really weird not having a job. I've worked since I was 14 years old, and I'm not sure what to do with myself half of the time now that I don't have to get up and go to work at any certain time, but I have to admit that a part of me really likes it. I have time to get things setup at our new place, and to make it a home. More important, Shaun and I are TOGETHER, and we have time to get the nursery setup and get ready for Hampton to come.
REAL jobs (and paychecks) are REALLY NICE!!! Did you know that?
Shaun is enjoying his new position as a Quality Engineer at Torotel Products, and his bosses seem to already be very impressed with him. He's able to go work out as he wants after work, and still be home by 5:00 or 6:00 each night instead of on campus until 2 or 3:00am like he used to do everyday. We can spend our evenings together like we never before were able to. We may not do anything exciting half of the time, but we're together, and that's what matters.
My days are now spent sleeping in (not too late), running errands, setting up the house (NESTING!!!), resting (much needed at this point in my pregnancy), cleaning (I make sure to stay away from dangerous chemicals, don't worry), going to the library for hours on end (we don't have internet yet--guess where I am right now), spending time with Ashlee (my oldest sister who lives only 15 minutes away) and her kids, and pretty much doing whatever else I want... for now. I get bored and lonely at times, but I try to enjoy every minute of free time I get because I know that's soon going to end.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment